Recreation Therapist – Ref. No. 18085
Permanent Full-Time Position
The Alex: Changing Health. Changing Lives. The Alex Community Health Centre is a not-for-profit organization that is changing how we look at health care in Calgary. Our health, housing and food programs support our most vulnerable neighbors, tackling tough health and social issues head-on. Using a multi-disciplinary team approach, we focus care on assessment, intervention and promotion of all aspects of health. We embrace a model of health care that is accessible, responsive and participatory. In addition to the Community Health Centre, we run a Seniors Health Centre, a Youth Centre, two Mobile Community Health Buses, one Dental Health Bus, four Housing First Programs, a Community Food Centre and the Children’s Legal & Educational Resource Centre (CLERC).
What we do and why we do it
We are currently seeking a motivated, flexible, client-focused Recreation Therapist to join our HomeBase Program; an innovative, best-practice service delivery model for ending homelessness by providing ‘Housing First’ coupled with harm reduction services. This program serves individuals with mental health, physical health, and addiction disorders. This is a permanent full-time position.
The Recreation Therapist is a key member of the HomeBase team and is responsible for working with the program clients to assist in moving them toward independent living in community residences.
What you will do
- Responsible for providing assessment, planning, implementing, and evaluating recreation based interventions for program clients. This includes but is not limited to teaching life skills and developing programs and activities for clients with mental illness and physical health issues in a community setting
- Will build and strengthen relationships with community partners including volunteers and students
- Will communicate and collaborate with team of Recreation Specialists both within HomeBase and across The Alex programs to plan and execute special events
What you bring
- Bachelor’s degree and eligible for ATRA registration or equivalent experience
- An ability to work collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary team model and able to work effectively within an innovative outreach service delivery model
- An ability to carry out assessment, intervention/care planning, program development and delivery
- Effective communication, organizational, advocacy, teaching, and rapport-building skills
- Ability to multi-task in fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of mental health/psychiatric conditions and substance abuse an asset
- Previous experience and comfort working with clients with homelessness or clients exiting homelessness
- Strong skill set in community resourcing
- Must have experience with event planning
- A class 5 driver’s license, $2,000,000 liability coverage in car insurance, and vehicle are mandatory
- Current First Aid/CPR is mandatory
How to apply
If you are as passionate as we are about making a difference in people’s lives, please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and be sure to include the job title and reference number in the subject line. For further information about The Alex and its programs, we encourage you to visit our website at www.thealex.ca
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
List the qualifications and skills required
Outline what the person in this position will perform on a regular basis