Indigenous Facilitator – Ref. No. 18080
Community Food Centre
Temporary Part-Time (22.5 hours / 3 days per week)
Flexible hours, which will include weekdays, evenings and weekends
The Alex: Changing Health. Changing Lives. The Alex Community Health Centre is a not-for-profit organization that is changing how we look at health care in Calgary. Our health, housing and food programs support our most vulnerable neighbours, tackling tough health and social issues head-on.
Since 1973, our cost-effective programs have provided preventative care in a welcoming, easy-to-access environment, moving people from poverty to stability and from crisis to wellness. Using a multi-disciplinary team approach, we focus care on assessment, intervention and promotion of all aspects of health. We embrace a model of health care that is accessible, responsive and participatory. In addition to the Family Health Centre, we run a Seniors Health Centre, a Youth Centre, two Mobile Community Health Buses, one Dental Health Bus, four Housing First Programs, a Community Food Centre and Youth Law.
The Indigenous Facilitator supports community food programs to increase cultural awareness and knowledge of traditional foods and ceremonial protocol. The Indigenous Facilitator facilitates shared learning, fosters connection between community groups, and supports cultural safety for participants who self-identify as Indigenous at the Community Food Centre (CFC). The Indigenous Facilitator will possess strong skills around cooking and nutrition, experience facilitating diverse groups of participants, and a desire to use food as a way to build community.
What you will do
Coordinate Community Meal and Food Skills Programming:
- Coordinate and facilitate community meal and food skills programs for diverse participants in the kitchen and garden
- Seek out suitable community partners to support program delivery
- Facilitate groups, building a safe and inclusive space for participants
- Ensure health, safety and cleanliness in the kitchen
Support Cultural Safety:
- Lead activities that deepen understanding of traditional practices, increase knowledge and cultural safety, as well as build awareness of Indigenous food amongst staff, volunteers and community members
- Support engagement and education opportunities that help build cultural competencies amongst CFC staff, volunteers and community members
- Support the CFC to incorporate traditional protocols and land-based learning into its programs and initiatives
- Collaborate with Indigenous-serving agencies, Elders, other Alex programs and community partners to increase participation of community members who self-identify as Indigenous at the CFC
Participate as The Alex Community Food Centre team member:
- Attend staff meetings; trainings; agency functions as appropriate
- Role model professional behavior and positive communication with participants, volunteers and partners
- Promote culture of health and safety within our space
- Represent The Alex in the community
- Interview, screen and supervise assigned volunteers and students
- Measure and evaluate program impact through support of data collection and reporting
- Contribute to communications through outlets such as social media and website
What you bring
- Diploma in a related field of study (culinary, nutrition, social work)
- 2+ years of experience in any area of nutrition, public health, food skills, kitchen management, social program delivery
- Demonstrated experience working with marginalized people and people of diverse cultures and abilities in a community-based setting
- Demonstrated knowledge of Indigenous food, traditions, and culture
- Experience incorporating traditional protocols and land-based learning into programming
- Excellent group facilitation, interpersonal, communication and conflict resolution skills
- Experience working with volunteers and supervisory skills an asset
- First Aid and Food Safety Certification
How to apply
If you are as passionate as we are about making a difference in people’s lives, please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and be sure to include the job title and reference number in the subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
For further information about The Alex and its programs, we encourage you to visit our website at www.thealex.ca
List the qualifications and skills required
Outline what the person in this position will perform on a regular basis