Community Services Counsellor
The Calgary Women’s Emergency Shelter (CWES) is here to support individuals and families in their efforts to live free from family violence and abuse. CWES is looking for an individual that believes change is possible, and will thrive in an environment that nurtures families impacted by violence and abuse. Working in a culture of respect and trust together we will build healthy families in our community. The Community Services Counselling Program is a client centered program delivering counselling for clients, experiencing family violence and abuse, who continue to live in the community.
The Community Services Counsellor supports clients with safety planning, case planning, parenting support, and information and referrals to community resource services that are available to support the client’s journey toward a life free of family violence and abuse. Reporting to the Team Lead, the Community Services Counsellor is responsible to:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop a client caseload consists of clients who have contacted the Family Violence and Abuse Helpline, resided at the Calgary Women’s Emergency Shelter, or have accessed a Calgary Women’s Emergency Shelter program and are requesting short and/ or long term counselling. Community Services Counsellor will respond to requests for service within 24 hours.
- The Community Services Counsellor supports clients with safety planning, case planning, parenting support, and information and referrals to community resource services that are available to support the client’s journey toward a life free of family violence and abuse. Counsels from a Response Based Theoretical client centered approach.
- Completes on-going Feedback Informed Treatment Scales with the clients to monitor progress and make adjustments as required in real time based on clients’ feedback.
- Consult and collaborate with other programs within Calgary Women’s Emergency Shelter that the clients have accessed.
- Attend and participate in required committees and networks
- Other related duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
- B.S.W. or B.A. in Social Sciences with at least two years related experience in community-based services, and / or crisis intervention. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Knowledge and experience in family violence and abuse delivery.
- Effective counselling skills.
- Must be discreet and maintain confidentiality to safeguard the security of clients.
- Ability to work together in a team setting by being positive, professional and approachable.
- Ability to maintain a calm manner, utilize critical thinking strategies in unpredictable circumstances and to respond effectively.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) and presentation skills.
- Able to plan, organize, and prioritize responsibilities to meet deadlines.
- Knowledge and awareness of culturally sensitive client needs and resources available
- A second language is an asset.
- CPR, First Aid and ASIST certification is required.
- A criminal records search and an intervention record check are conditions of employment.
- This position requires a valid driver’s license and use of a personal vehicle. Mileage will be reimbursed.
- If holder of an eligible degree, registration with an associated professional body, registration must be current.
- In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
TO APPLY: Please submit your resume and cover letter via Reachire http://reachire.ca/index.php.
CLOSE DATE: The position will remain open until filled.
List the qualifications and skills required
Outline what the person in this position will perform on a regular basis
Calgary Women's Emergency Shelter