Case Manager – Ref. No. 18084
Complex Care and Opioid Replacement Clinic
The Alex: Changing Health. Changing Lives. The Alex Community Health Centre is a not-for-profit organization that is changing how we look at health care in Calgary. Our health, housing and food programs support our most vulnerable neighbours, tackling tough health and social issues head-on. Since 1973, our cost-effective programs have provided preventative care in a welcoming, easy-to-access environment, moving people from poverty to stability and from crisis to wellness.
Using a multi-disciplinary team approach, we focus care on assessment, intervention and promotion of all aspects of health. We embrace a model of health care that is accessible, responsive and participatory. In addition to the Family Health Centre, we run a Seniors Health Centre, a Youth Centre, two Mobile Community Health Buses, one Dental Health Bus, four Housing First Programs, a Community Food Centre and Youth Law.
What we do and why we do it
In response to the growing opioid crisis, The Alex recently integrated the Complex Care Clinic into our Family Health Centre. The CCC is a referral-based clinic supporting clients with complex medical, social, mental health, and addictions needs. The CCC also offers Suboxone treatment for those wishing to recover from opioid addiction, while adding additional wraparound care and services to address the root causes of addiction.
We are currently seeking a Case Manager for our Complex Care and Opioid Replacement Clinic, to work with clients with complex mental, physical, social health needs and addictions. Reporting to the Clinic Team Lead and working collaboratively within our Primary Healthcare Team, this position may encompass working extended hours within the Family Health Centre with shifts potentially scheduled during evenings and weekends.
What you will do
- Complete intake assessments and screening for newly referred clients and triage clients as needed
- Provide case management to clients with complex mental, physical, and social health needs as well as addictions and polysubstance use
- Case management may include but is not limited to supporting clients in accessing basic needs including food security and housing; assist clients in obtaining income supports; assist clients navigating the justice system; supporting clients in accessing appointments and social programming
- Check-in with patients’ self-identified goals and keep them on track toward their care plan
- Assist in connecting to appropriate community resources to facilitate clinic discharge
- Perform advocacy and liaison functions with social agencies, and other professionals in order to obtain client-needed services and assist clients in system navigation
- Complete needs and risk assessments
- Respond to crisis and emergency situations
- Work in a multi-disciplinary team of professionals as a vital member of the Family Health Centre
- Be a creative problem solver and have the ability to think outside the box in order to help clients achieve success where they formerly have not
What you bring
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work or related Human Services degree preferred
- Psychiatric Nursing Diploma will be considered
- Strong foundation in addictions and mental health, along with strong knowledge of community resources
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of Alberta College of Social Workers Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice
- Confidence in dealing with conflict and ‘at-risk’ situations
- Comfortable working independently
- Non-violent crisis intervention preferred
- Experience working with a diverse high needs population. Preference given to candidates with experience working with clients with concurrent disorders
- Must be comfortable working within a harm reduction and strength based model of care and trauma, informed care techniques, and an understanding of anti-oppressive practice
- Ability to maintain firm boundaries while effectively building relationships with complex clients experiencing addictions, mental health, isolation, homelessness, and poverty concerns
- Willing to provide outreach
- A Class 5 non-GDL driver’s license and a vehicle with $2,000,000 liability insurance coverage are mandatory
- Current First Aid/CPR is mandatory
How to apply
If you are as passionate as we are about making a difference in people’s lives, please submit your resume to email@example.com and be sure to include the job title and reference number in the subject line.
For further information about The Alex and its programs, we encourage you to visit our website at www.thealex.ca.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
List the qualifications and skills required
Outline what the person in this position will perform on a regular basis