You have a passion for making a difference, you crave the opportunity to impact your community and you would describe yourself as someone who seeks a career with purpose. You have a strong internal drive that pushes you to seek challenging work in a collaborative, professional and reputable environment that does meaningful work in Calgary.
At Inn from the Cold (IFTC), our mission is to offer shelter, sanctuary, and healing to assist homeless children and their families achieve independence. We need passionate, high-performing and solution-oriented team members to achieve our mission and have an exciting and challenging opportunity for the right candidate.
Reporting directly to the Facilities, the Maintenance Labourer will be responsible for performing general building and property maintenance. He/she will assist in the maintenance of HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning), electrical, plumbing and mechanical systems and equipment. The Maintenance Labourer is also responsible for installing, troubleshooting, repairing and maintaining equipment in accordance with safety, predictive and productive maintenance systems and processes. The Maintenance Labourer may also be responsible for keeping buildings in clean and orderly condition. Additional duties may include tending to the furnace and boiler, performing routine maintenance activities, notifying management of need for repairs, and clearing snow or debris from sidewalks. The Maintenance Labourer shall ensure that the grounds are maintained appropriately.
- The shift for this role is Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday from 8:00 am until 6:00 pm (10 hours)
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Comply and enforce Occupational Health and Safety standards and practices.
- Perform regular property inspections of common areas, building exteriors, and landscape.
- Demolition work and building of new walls (drywall, taping, mudding) as required
- Keep tool room clean and ensure work areas are safe and clear of obstruction
- Perform minor repairs on windows, doors, switches, desks, tables, plugs, equipment, appliances, sinks, toilets, blinds etc.
- Assist with maintenance of heating and air conditioning systems, boilers, pumps, fan units, control panels, thermostats, cooling towers, etc.
- Maintain outside grounds (remove snow, ice, and debris, pressure washing sidewalks and back alley area).
- Assist with loading and unloading donations
- Assist Kitchen with loading and unloading food orders
- Other duties as required
- Valid class 5 driver’s license
- Available to be on call every other week after hours for building needs
- Able to work Friday to Monday shift, 8 am to 6 pm
- High school diploma/GED
- 2 – 3 years of Maintenance experience
- Minimum 1-year experience in the operation and maintenance of buildings
- Ability to perform small repairs (e.g. caulking, replacing washers, and replacing light fixtures)
- Strong morals and ethics, sound judgement and reasoning skills, along with a commitment to discretion and staff privacy
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment
- Physically able to perform all assigned tasks; able to lift 50 lbs.
- Knowledge of social issues surrounding poverty and homelessness would be an asset
Please send resume to Marj Kyle at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only those selected will be contacted. No phone calls please.
In the subject line indicate the role you applying for
Please send resume and cover letter in one PDF attachment
The closing date of this position is December 2, 2018
- Embrace Compassion: we fulfill a duty of care, not only to our guests, but to our colleagues and our community
- Exhibit Courage: we uphold the convictions of the organization and support our community, especially when faced with adversity
- Work Inclusively: we foster a culture where all stakeholders feel they have an opportunity to turn their potential into performance
- Demonstrate Respect: we believe the way we treat each other in achieving our objectives is just as important as what we achieve
- Act with Accountability: we demonstrate a commitment to our word, accept responsibility for our mistakes, and take action to address them
- Encourage Innovation: we take informed risks and champion new ideas
List the qualifications and skills required
Outline what the person in this position will perform on a regular basis
Inn from the Cold